Friday, September 20, 2013

New puppy, new name

I can't believe it's been two weeks since I last posted, and I've had my puppy nearly that long!

Here's the thing: her name was Sadie, right up until I picked her up from the breeder's, and then she told me her name was Isabella, Bella for short. And that is her name! How did I know? I swear, she told me!

Bella and Mac get along famously. Mac thinks it's wonderful to have someone to play with, and when he gets tired of playing (which he invariably does before she does), he simply jumps up on the couch or the bed where she can't reach him. I've heard a few yips a couple of times when Mac was saying, "Listen, whippersnapper, that isn't how you treat your elders." And Bella gets right in line.

I've only started loading the clicker with her thus far. And how to sleep in a crate without yelling bloody murder about it. I'm finding it quite a challenge to train her with Mac around, and in addition looking after a two year old and a three month old.

By the way, she gets along really well with the two year old. The first day they chased each other around until they fell exhausted to sleep. She doesn't bite R the way she bites me. In fact, she has drawn blood on my arms and hands a few times. We're working on biting, trying to develop a soft mouth. When she gets too rough, she gets a time out in her crate.

We've put her on the Banfield puppy plus health plan, so when she's six months old, we can have her spayed. She passed her initial health exam with flying colors.

Okay, I need to go now, but I'll be back later to bring you up to speed on how Mac's training is coming along, with Bella's, too. 'Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment